Want to add internet access to watch streaming movies but you don't have an ethernet port nearby to directly connect your TV to the internet, and your entertainment system to too far away from your WiFi router to get a strong enough signal? Want to boost your WiFi signal throughout your home for use on your laptop, Kindle, and cell phone? I recently solved this dilemma.
Expanding Reliable WiFi Internet Access Throughout Your Home|
My house is not wired with Ethernet cable, which would be the best option to get fast and reliable internet access to all rooms in my home, but I bought a house built before Ethernet became standard wiring along with your cable and electricity. I'd love to be able to plug my equipment into a wall outlet, but I don't have that luxury.
1. If you encrypt your Wi-Fi network, be sure to encrypt the repeater signal too. This signal easily reaches the road in front of my house as well as my deck and screened in porch out back.
2. Make sure your repeater is on the same channel as your Wi-Fi. Channel 6 is usually the default channel for Wi-Fi routers. You can use any channel from 1 to 11. Channels 1, 6, and 11 have no interference with each other. Pick a channel your neighbors aren't using.
3. A free android app called Wi-Fi Analyzer can easily identify all the wifi signals in your immediate area, as well as the strength of your signals anywhere you want to test them in and around your house.
4. Just as it's a smart idea to change your default SSID and password on your router, you should also change the default SSID and password on your repeater.
5. The repeater needs to be set up reasonably close enough to your current Wi-Fi router since you need at least a 70% signal to repeat well.
|6. I understand the repeater is prone to reset and lose connection if there is a power outage or even a voltage fluctuation (common to rural areas). My solution is to plug the repeater into an APC BackUps 350. It provides battery backup, electricity smoothing, and line protection to keep your repeater running without interruption.|
|Here are three related links which you may find helpful:|
Replace Your Cable Internet Modem and Save The Monthly Rental Fees|
Information to assist you in selecting, purchasing and setting up a cable internet modem which will save you from having to pay your cable company a monthly rental or leasing fee.
Connect and Watch Internet Content on Your TV|
Greater detail on internet ready HDTVs and the why you should consider steaming internet content, like Netflix, on your TV.
Setting Up A Moderately Priced Home Theater Experience|
Assistance in selecting and setting up a great moderately-priced home entertainment system.
|Eliminate Your Landline Phone Carrier|
Detailed information on how to replace your landline service with cell phone service and keep your home phone number.
Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed. The information presented is an opinion intended to assist site visitors on using a high power wifi repeater to boost their current WiFi internet signal throughout their house.
© 2012 Topher
Thank you for visiting. Aloha!